Thursday, May 16, 2013

SquidBalm Review

By: Paisley


 

Before trying their product, we reviewed their webpage, and completely fell in love. 
SquidBalm promises that all of their products are:
Vegan
Nut-free
Bee-Free
Phthalate-free
Paraben-free
and
Gluten-free
Perfect for our sensitive skin! We had to try it.
After contacting Squidbalm, they hooked us up:


We were so excited when we received our package. Dad left it on the table for us to open when we got home from school. I knew it had arrived before he even had a chance to tell us. The aroma coming from the box politely greeted us as we entered the door. 

All of the soaps and shampoos smelled so good, that it was too hard for us to choose who got what. Dad came up with the idea of cutting us all cubes of each scent, so that we all got to try each one. Squidbalm uses the cold process* for making their soaps, as well as their shampoos. The bars get their colors naturally from botanical and herbal infusions, and are scented with natural essential oils.


 My favorite bar out of all of the soaps was the Summer Berry Colada. The scent was so sweet and delicate, yet strong enough to linger on your skin well agfter showering. It created a nice, foamy lather leaving my skin silky smooth and squeaky clean.

I must admit that I was most anxious to try the Squidbalm Shampoo bars. Making shampoo as a solid is such a genius idea, and I applaud them for using this technique. Not only is it better for me, but it is better for the environment as well, since packaging is minimal. Plastic bottles are so 1990! It is time for a change. 
I chose to use the Oregon Woods shampoo bar my first go around. The kind I used was the Original Variety for dry hair, but they also offer a light version of their shampoo bars for all of the other hair types. A little goes a long way when it comes to using these shampoo bars. You just rub it in until a lather is created, then rinse, and rinse again. The first time using, I chose to follow up with the Apple Cider Vinegar rinse as they suggested. This helps rinse away any residue that may leave hair feeling heavy and greasy. The second time I took a shower, I did not use the ACV rinse. The difference was noticeable, but only slightly so.


Next up was the Solid Conditioner Bar. I chose to use the Lily of the Valley scent. OMG, was it delightful! The scent filled the shower, making sure that I was awake, yet relaxed. Since my hair is on the tangly side, I was admittedly skeptical about how well a solid  conditioner bar would work for me. The verdict: it was perfect! The conditioner bar was able to gently detangle and condition my hair, leaving it more manageable than I imagined. I also used the bar as a shaving cream substitute to shave my legs. It went on smoothly, didn't clog my razor, and left my legs soft and razor-burn free.


My sister and I also each received a SquidBalm Bath Bomb to try in the bath. Getting to use this bath bomb was a treat! It was like sitting in warm champagne. (Not that I have ever had champagne, but with all of that effervescence, I can only imagine!) As the bath bomb started fizzing away, I soon realized that this was going to be a loooonnng bath. It really calmed me down and soothed my tired muscles. It was almost too relaxing, and I almost dozed off several times. Out of everything I have tried so far, I really recommend the bombs.

One of the best things you can do for dry skin is to keep it hydrated and moisturized. I always apply lotion after showering, while my skin is a little damp. This helps lock in moisture and prevent my skin from drying out during the day. Squidbalm made my routine easier than ever by providing me with their Solid Lotion Bar. The scent (I chose to use the French Lavender) was subtle and sweet, and lasted for hours despite numerous hand washings.
After trying out all of these amazing Squidbalm products, I know for a fact that they will be a staple in our house (or at least in MY bathroom)! Since using Squidbalm, I can rest easy knowing that my body is free of harmful chemicals and that the planet and its many creatures didn't suffer in any way during the production. 

Feel free to connect with them on:




*Cold Process soap is made by mixing fatty acids and sodium hydroxide (oil & lye) which then triggers the saponification process. Sounds like magic, but really it's all chemistry.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to try this soap. The Summer Berry Colada does sound quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my sis in law would LOVE this. I'll pass this on to her. Thanks for the review
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this sounds great i would love to try these products thanks for sharing them with us...

    ReplyDelete